Monday, December 28, 2009

Smith Island 14 Layers Cake






I have seen this cake on a few blogs and on an Oprah episode and thought I would give it ago.  The Smith Island layer cake is now the official dessert of the USA state of Maryland.  It wasn't too difficult to make just time consuming and all 14 layers of cake are individually baked.  It is then filled with a cooked chocolate fudge icing and  I then covered it in chocolate fudge cream cheese frosting.  This was more like a ganache as I found the cooked chocolate fudge icing a little thin for the outside of the cake.  So I ended up whipping through cream cheese and melted chocolate to thicken it.  This is for my husband's Birthday today. 

I think the layers of cake before iced looks like a tower of pancakes with chocolate sauce!  If you want to try out the recipe this is the one I used http://www.oprah.com/recipe/food/recipesdesserts/food_20030508_cake or this one on Bakerella blog which has the best step by step photos http://www.bakerella.com/fourteen-for-the-fourteenth/

No comments: