Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lebkuchen



I made these with my 3 youngest children today. The two eldest children went on a fishing excursion with my husband. Thought this would be a nice and easy activity to do with them. This was a new recipe and it is a keeper. The dough is really easy to handle and cut out. The biscuits were a little too crisp for the kids but I really enjoyed them. I think this dough would be great for Christmas cookies, decorations or even a gingerbread house.


I made some men and hearts. The gingerbread men shapes are free hand cut as I could not find my gingerbread man cutter.


I modified a recipe I found in one of my cookbooks and this is what I came up with.


Lebkuchen


2 1/3 cups plain flour

1/2 cup cornflour

2 teaspooons cocoa powder

1 teaspoon mixed spice

1 teaspoon cinnamon

100g butter

3/4 cup golden syrup

2 tablespoons milk


royal icing for decoration


Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Place all dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together. Place butter, golden syrup and milk together in the microwave until butter has melted. Add into the dry ingredients. Stir together to form a soft dough. Knead gently for 1 minute on a flour board until dough is smooth. Roll out until 7mm thick and cut into shapes. Bake for 15 mins or until lightly golden. Let them cool completely before decorating.




No comments: